Friday 9 September 2011

Jacob “Moondog” Gilliespe - September 7th Issue

Courtney Taylor
Cariboo Advisor

Taking inspiration from the woods, forests, animals, and the ground we walk on, Jacob ‘Moondog’ Gilliespe carves beautiful works of art out of wood.
He has carved since he was young, and has had opportunities to work under some very impressive carvers over years.
“I started carving toothpicks with my dad’s jack knife when I was just young,” said Gillipsie.
He grew up in Saskatchewan, and moved to B.C. 17 years ago and lived on Vancouver Island for 10 years working and studying carving under elder, Simon Charlie.
Charlie was a master totem pole caver and has totem poles all over the world, and Gillipsie says he learned so much from him and not just about carving.
“He really helped me get my life in order,” said Gillipsie.
Another mentor he had was down in Denver, Colorad. Gillipsie use to go down every winter for work and studied under a master carver while he was there, his name was Lloyd Wad. 
Both of (my mentors) were really good influences,” said Gillipsie. 
“They helped me take my carving to another level.”
Even though both his mentors have now passed on, Gillipsie says they both still inspire him everyday.
He has had a studio out in Horsefly for the past seven years, and says he has had many artists-in-transit stop by his studio that he has either taught, or has learned from.
“We also have custom drum making, and workshops that keep the people flowing,” he said.
Gillipsie says he gives thanks to the creator for giving him guidance, and inspiring him.
Many of his carvings are of animals, but he said he also has done some human forms and faces.
He says he loves working with what animals people like, and loves there to be a challenge involved.
“If it’s not challenging, I find it boring.”
All of his pieces eventually find a home he says, and some of them are commissioned like the piece he is working on today. A salmon for the Horsefly Salmon Festival committee, and he says he is so honoured.
 “I am quite honoured to have my work displayed in a local venue,” said Gillipie. “I am also honoured that Willie wanted my work in his store.”
This is Gillipsie’s fist year in the Art Walk and Sale and he says he has loved it.
“I get people over at the market, who tell me they were just here and saw my work,” said Gillipsie.
He sells organically grown gourmet garlic at the two farmers market’s in town, and that is where he came from Friday before settling into work on his commissioned salmon carving outside of Borland Creek Craft Wine. Also joining Gillipsie on Friday was last season’s Kamloops Idol winner, Oren Barter.
“Music really moves me,” said Gillipsie. “I usually listen to music when I am carving.”



No comments:

Post a Comment