Friday 9 September 2011

Canvas supplied by mother nature - September 7th Issue

Courtney Taylor
Cariboo Advisor

Inside of paper, or canvas’ to paint on, Debbie Lloyd enjoys putting her creations on gourds, rocks, wood, saw blades, and other usual items. 
“I like painting on different objects,” said Lloyd. 
This summer at the Friday Farmers market she had a booth selling not only flowers and veggies from her garden, but her painting creations as well. And on top of that she had baskets to sell as well.
Her garden keeps her busy throughout the summer months, but come winter and snow she retreats to her basement to put paint to gourd.
Before painting the gourds, she said they must dry and be hollowed out, the small ones she leaves the seeds in so they become rattles. She had a clown painted on rattle gourd at Friday’s market.
She says the latest batch of gourds she bought were from a lady at Sugar Cane, and she says she has enough to last her five years or more.
“I am a self-taught painter,” said Lloyd. “I went over to my neighbors to find out what paints and brushes I needed and went from there.”
Lloyd says she has been painting for 16 years, and her paint of choice is acrylic, but she has dabbled in oils as well.
“I stick with acrylics, I can get something done in an afternoon,” said Lloyd.
Her garden and painting bring her into town from her farm a few kilometers outside of town, and she says her painted gourd have been selling well along with her baskets, and rock ‘animals’.
“I sold all my baskets first last year, so I made more this year and they all sold as well,” said Lloyd.
After 16 years of painting, Lloyd still loves creating works of art and gourds just happen to be a fun and interesting place to create those beautiful works of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment