Thursday 13 October 2011

Thankful to be home in the Cariboo for Thanksgiving- Editorial October 5th


So once again it’s that time of year. You know the time when the leaves are a changing and falling, and the air is crisp. No it’s not just fall, it is Thanksgiving, or it is soon. And that means giving thanks for everything we have and everyone we love.

But do people still take the time out at Thanksgiving to truly give praise for all the wonderful people and things they have in their lives, or is all about the turkey?

Don’t get me wrong, Thanksgiving dinner is truly wonderful with all its turkey and fixings, but there has to be more to this holiday than food right? Or is Thanksgiving another holiday where the true meaning has been forgotten, and a new meaning has taken its place?

Really, what holiday is still celebrated for the true meaning of the day instead of celebrating a day off from work or school, and food, and stuff? Not many.

Christmas, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s day, even Labour day, not one of these holidays is celebrated for their original intentions. Holidays weren’t just thought up by people for a day off, or a reason to go out and party or buy stuff, holidays were created for a reason, and many of us have lost sight of those reasons.

Thanksgiving is about giving thanks, and remembering that we are truly lucky for the lives we live, the food we eat, and the people who are taking that journey through life with us.

Thanksgiving is celebrated the second Monday in October at the end of the harvest season. It was made a statuary holiday in 1957 by the Canadian Parliament.

Its original purpose was to serve as a day of thanksgiving to the Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed. 

When I was younger, my family along with aunts, uncles and cousins celebrated Thanksgiving with a fabulous dinner (we still do), and before we could eat we went around the table and said one thing we were thankful for that year (which we don’t do as often anymore). 

As a child, I was always thankful for material things, toys and games and what not, but as I got older I began to realize that what I was truly thankful for was my wonderful family. I know too many people who don’t have a close family, and I love how close I am with my aunts and uncles that live in Williams Lake. 

This is my first Thanksgiving dinner back in Williams Lake in over four years, not that I was deprived in Calgary, I was lucky enough to have a cousin that invited me to dinner every year and the dinner was just as fantastic as the ones I grew up on (she grew up on the same) and there wasn’t a year that went by in Calgary that I wasn’t thankful to have her there, she did so much for me over the years and I would have been lost with out her. Thank you Tegan.

Thanksgiving may just be another holiday and day off to some, but I will give thanks for my friends and family once again this year. And I will once again enjoy some turkey; I mean it is Thanksgiving after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment