Thursday 13 October 2011

Passions, deadlines and dreams - Editorial October 12


Passion. It’s one thing I want for my life. I want to feel passionately about the one I love, to work passionately for something and to find my one true passion in life.

Being back in Williams Lake for the last few months it amazes me how many passionate people I meet, whether it is Mayor Cook who is passionate about this town, Dr. Ray Sanders who is passionate about TRU, or Denise Thompson who is passionate about her community out in Wildwood. 

I want to live my life full of passion and I want to live each day like there will be no more. With Steve Jobs passing away earlier this month, Facebook has been flooded with quotes from him. Many of the status updates referred to living each day, as it was your last and I like that mentality. I never want to get to a point in my life and look back and think why did I do that, why didn’t I do this and so on. I want to have no regrets. So far I am close to finding my passion in life, but I definitely don’t feel as if I have found it just yet. 

I think I need more life experience, maybe a spur of the moment trip to New York, maybe that dream of being a fashion designer isn’t dead, maybe I’ll write for a newspaper the rest of my life. I really don’t know, but I do know that I am 24 and I am not ready to settle on one thing just yet.

I love Williams Lake and it will forever be my home. I get goose bumps listening to Mayor Cook talk about the future, and the same when Dr Sanders speaks about where TRU will be in the next 10 years. I want to see Williams Lake grow, I even want to help, I am just not sure how I fit in just yet. And I really can’t wait to say ‘I am from that fantastic town that has grown beyond the point anyone could have imagined years ago.”

One thing I do know is that I love writing and working for this paper. The people I work with are passionate, the people I meet are passionate, and I do truly love this town.

Not to say that there aren’t a few more adventures still in store for me before I settle down. I’d still love to backpack Europe, work overseas, perhaps intern at a magazine in Toronto or New York and I still have plans for more school. 

Besides believing in living each day to its fullest, I also believe no experience is a waste of time and you can learn important skills all the time that can be useful in the future.

I had the pleasure of meeting with two ladies this past week who are truly passionate about what they are doing and I love interacting with people who are full of passion.

I am passionate right now about doing the very best I can in reporting and writing stories for this paper and every week I learn a little bit more. I can say without a doubt that the lesson last week was about proof reading and you better believe that I will never let another story go to press without a last look over.

Life is full of lessons and it is what you learn and how you move forward that is important. I am not done learning here at the Advisor and I plan on learning a whole heck of a lot more before my next learning experience starts.

No comments:

Post a Comment