Thursday 13 October 2011

Station House Gallery artists inspired by their Journeys -October 5th Edition


Courtney Taylor
Cariboo Advisor
The leaves are changing colour and it’s a brand new month, which means it is time for a new artist to set up shop in the Station House Gallery and this month there are two talented artists.

In the main gallery will be the mountain inspired paintings by Crystalynn Tarr from Prince George, along with Shannon Williamson whose paintings will be in the Upper Gallery.

Tarr’s showcase is titled, ‘ My Heart, My Land’ and was inspired by the mountains she’s lived in, hiked in, and driven through over the years. 

“I have enjoyed the process of learning to express how I felt in (the mountains) and the connection to God that I feel when I am in (the mountains),” said Tarr.

Tarr has been dabbling in art for most her life, but truly painting for the past two to three years. 

“I have had a love of art my whole life and been fascinated by both art and the natural world,” said Tarr. “I think my journey into art is best expressed as a merging of the two.”

Tarr lives in Prince George and works for the Community Arts Council of Prince George and District.

Tarr is sharing her time at the Station House Gallery with Shannon Williamson, and she says she is excited to meet her and see more of her work.

“I’m excited that our journeys through land, time, thoughts, dreams, struggles and successes will be displayed together, and that our paths will meet,” said Tarr.

Shannon Williamson’s show is titled ‘A Pilgrim’s Progress,’ and she is making the journey back to the lakecity from Calgary for the show.

“I am proud to be born and raised (in Williams Lake), and I return often,” said Williamson.

‘A Pilgrim’s Progress’ is about how everyone is going somewhere, and whether we move forward onto the road of least resistance or back sliding into the ruts of the past: we are always moving, according to Williamson. 

‘The Pilgrim’s Process’ is a chronicle of the life of a Christian, who on the road to the Celestial City encounters many trials and tribulations along the way by John Bunyan, and according to Williamson is the best story about the struggles of a pilgrim and the concept may be old, but is just as relevant today.

She says that this series of painting could not have been imagined without witnessing and encouraging her mother on her journey. Williamson’s mother passed away last year after a spirited battle with cancer. 

“I had never really considered coming home to have a show until my mother suggested it,” said Williamson. “I knew she would be filled with pride to have me return to Williams Lake to show my work back on B.C. soil.”

She said shortly after the show was discussed her mother fell ill, it was an hour after she passed when Williamson received an email from the Station House Gallery encouraging her to apply for a show.

“To say it was bittersweet would be an understatement, but not to accept the offer would be an offense to my mom,” said Williamson.

Williamson’s chosen medium is as unique as her inspiration for her latest painting series. She chooses to work in an age-old medium called encaustic, which is essentially coloured pigment mixed with resin crystals and beeswax.

“It’s a wonderful material because it has many translucent elements that regular oil and acrylics don’t have. I am also quite partial to texture and encaustic is a beautiful medium to work with if you like thick layers,” says Williamson.

Back in Calgary, she works as the Assistant Director at Wallace Galleries Ltd. She maintains a studio practice and teaches workshops dedicated to the practice of Encaustic painting.

Williamson says she fell in love with art of encaustic painting during her time at Red Deer College, and continues to master the material 10 years later.

“I will always strive for new and fresh, while anchoring myself in solid and tradition and practice,” says Williamson.

From October 7th to 29th, come check these two wonderful ladies at the Station House Gallery. Tomorrow night is the opening of the show at the Gallery starting at 5 p.m. and going until 7 p.m. 

No comments:

Post a Comment